Sunday, February 19, 2012

Lifestyle Change....Some Things I've Learned.

Changing ones lifestyle, especially at my age, is not an easy thing to do.  But I'm thinking that maybe you CAN teach an "old dog" some new tricks!

Since deciding back in October, that I really needed to drop a considerable amount of weight, I've learned so many "new things".  I thought I'd share some of them with you, take them for what they are, use them if you would like or just read them and smile.  I'll start with just 3 and future blogs will go from there.

1.)  There IS a program out there that not only works but is totally FREE, (yes, no meetings, no paying for online support, nothing to buy etc. FREE).  SparkPeople has to be one of the most comprehensive websites out there for people wanting to change their lives.  The operative word here is "wanting".  You have to work at it, be honest with yourself and give it time.  It works, it really does.  The premise is if you just change 1 thing at a time and be consistent with that change it will soon become a "habit".  Then move on to the next thing.  After a certain amount of time you have an entire new set of "habits" and your on your way to a healthier life.  I started there on October 30, 2011....as of today I have lost 27 pounds, I exercise 60 minutes a day 6 days a week and have just about completely quit eating meat.  And to top that all off I FEEL great...the best I've felt in years!

2.)  You do not need a gym membership to get exercise.  Personally I hate "group" fitness...I hate using equipment someone else has been sitting on and sweating all over....there is a high "ewwww" factor there.  If you have 2 feet and a floor you can get fit!  If you can't afford to purchase exercise DVD's you can rent them from your local Library.  View several until you find one (or more) that you enjoy...then shoot for saving to make that purchase.  You can find them at garage sales, church flea markets, on eBay, Craigslist etc.  You don't need to purchase new.  Many times you can find them on sale, especially if they are considered "older" DVD's.  I tried several before I found out that I absolutely love Step Aerobics.  While wildly popular back in the 80's it's still a heck of a workout, gets your heart rate up and really works you good!  My favorite is Gin Millers "Simply Step".  It's not "dancy" because I have 2 left feet, her cues are on time and she shows you the moves before she calls them...great for those of us that just aren't that coordinated.  Frankly it took me about 3 weeks to be able to work up to completing the entire 60 minute workout but the results have been amazing.

3.)  Try something different.  And that can be anything but in this case it's food.  Since dropping meat from my diet I was concerned about my protein intake.  I started reading and found tons of information on a "super food" by the name of Quinoa (keen-wa).  It is actually a seed that's grown in Bolivia.  The Incas cultivated and ate this seed 3,000-4,000 years ago.  They referred to it as the "mother of all grains".  Quinoa contains essential amino acids like Lysine and contains good quantities of calcium, iron and phosphorus as well as 18% protein and is closely related to the beet and spinach family.  I purchased mine through Amazon, it's organic and has had the outer hull removed (which can be very bitter).  You can also find it at Trader Joe's and Costco.  It comes in "tri color", red, black and white.

Quinoa is cooked just like rice with a 2:1 ratio, 2 cups liquid to 1 cup seeds.  I make mine in batches and put in the fridge so I have it on hand.  It's great in salads, soups or by itself cooked in vegetable broth with added onions, peppers and herbs/seasonings.  It's very versatile and I just made a "Breakfast Quinoa" today, it was delicious!  Quinoa has that "staying power" and keeps your blood sugar even and holds you until your next meal with no problem!

Breakfast Quinoa

2 c. Cranberry-Raspberry Juice, Light
1 c. Quinoa
1 tsp. Cinnamon
1 c. Dark Bing Cherries, chopped

Bring Quinoa and juice to a rolling boil in sauce pan, cover and reduce heat.  Cook for 15 minutes and remove from heat, add the cinnamon and cherries, cover and let stand about 5-10 minutes.  Serve warm or cold, refrigerate remainder.  Makes 4 servings 1/2 c. each.  You can add some yogurt if you wish but it really doesn't need a single thing.  The sweetness from the cherries and juice are plenty sweet enough and it needs no liquids.  Enjoy!

That's a start.....more later!







































3 comments:

Judy A in Idy said...

Funny.....I just came back from my first walk in...well, I don't know how long. I, too, have realized that I need to make some changes. Once home, I found the link to this page and it really spoke to me. Thank you for posting this!

BeadedTail said...

Congratulations on all your changes and success Mel! I have been wanting to make changes for years and have tried many times but recently something clicked and I know I've finally got it. I have a very long way to go but one step at a time I'll get there!

city said...

nice opinion.. thanks for sharing...