Breast Cancer. I think it is safe to say that in our lifetimes we will either know someone that has/had it or heard of someone that has/had it. It touches so many. Only with careful screening, self awareness, regular mammography and research will we see the numbers fall.
In 2011, it is estimated that within the U.S.:
- There will be 230,480 new cases of invasive breast cancer.
- There will be 57,650 new cases of in situ breast cancer.
- There will be 39,520 breast cancer deaths.
- Do monthly self-exams....no one knows your body better than you do.
- Have a yearly exam with your Doctor, no, nobody likes to go but consider the alternative.
- Get "squished" yearly! Get that Mammogram! And if you cannot afford it there are places within your own communities that can help you pay for them. Contact your local American Cancer Society or search on Google for help in your area.
- Eat a healthy diet, exercise, quit smoking.....
- If you think there is something wrong...DON'T STICK YOUR HEAD IN THE SAND AND HOPE IT GOES AWAY BECAUSE IT WON'T! And the longer you wait the less your chances are of beating it!
Here are some links that you might like to keep around...visit them and bookmark them, pass them on!
National Breast Cancer Organization
Susan G. Komen
And if you'd like, the Etsy Angels are raising money all through October for Breast Cancer non-profit groups in each Angels own hometown. Join us, help us by making a purchase from any (or all) of the Angel Shops listed here in our blog The Etsy Angels "Think Pink" October Fundraiser